Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Scary Schools

I have been reading all the latest developments about the school shooting yesterday.. It saddens me to think of all the loss of life and the loss of the sense of security that these children and teachers now have to face..They will never be able to go back to school without looking over their shoulder..

What happened to these kids that make them so indifferent to life.. why do they not care if they live or die or who they take with them.. I remember being a teenager.. I had the usual teenage angst.. boyfriends.. friends.. dramas.. but nothing in my experience could have made me even think of ending the life of my school mates or myself...

The ones that are left behind always say.. "he was picked on" ya know.. so was I .. I was a fat kid with curly hair, pimples, glasses and an IQ of 152.. if that doesn't get ya picked on nothing will.. and I was tormented by some of the kids at school.. I came home in tears at times.. I spent whole days crying in school.. but never did I think the solution was to get an AK and take out the student body..

Maybe it is just me..maybe I just don't understand how empty a person would have to be in order to even think like that.. My son sometimes scares me.. he seems to care about nothing.. he seems to want nothing out of life.. and the really scary part is.. most of his friends are the same.. this generation of kids don't seem to have any joy in their lives and if they do they don't know how to appreciate it.. if they are our future.. frankly.. this country is screwed.. there is nothing Mr. Bush can do to screw it up as badly as if one of these lost kids gets in a position of power.. and he is really trying..

I wish I had an answer for why these kids think this way.. TV? bad parenting? environment? genetics? who knows.. maybe it is a combination of all of these things.. do we spare the rod/spoil the child.. do we give them time outs.. do we award them for every little thing they do.. do we teach them old fashioned values? what can we do..??

And to think.. I didn't have a thing to blog about today..

1 comment:

Ron Simpson said...

yeah yeah .. you may think you have nothing to blog about .. but once yer wheels get turning .. you will be blogging for sure .. I knew when I read the comment on mine that I would find a blog on yours .. And .. love right back to ya, babe