Monday, March 21, 2005

Paging Doctor Slug

Dr. Garden Slug.. Paging Dr. Slug..Ok.. I know that doctors get old.. I know they sometimes get burned out.. I also know with all of the HMO and Insurance things going on the practice of medicine ain't what it used to be.. but OMG when did all of that make it illegal for a doctor to have a personality.. I took Sierra for her first prenatal appt today.. we got there 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork.. there was only one sheet..I thought that was a bit strange for an OB appt but it has been 9 yrs since I had a baby.. maybe things have changed a bit.. we got called to the back where Sierra was weighed and asked a few preliminary questions about her health.. then we were told that the doctor had not arrived to work yet and that we could wait out in the lobby or back in the room whichever we chose.. we chose to wait outside in the van..

We went back inside.. waited about 10 mins and Sierra was called to the back once again.. I did notice that this was the least busy OB's office I have ever seen in my life.. but then again.. I thought.. could just be a slow day.. anywho.. we were seated in the cubicle and waited for the doctor.. he came in about 5 minutes later.. He introduced himself to Sierra.. asked and received my name and relationship to her.. and promptly sat down to ask a series of questions... now.. I haven't mentioned thus far that this man could have easily delivered my mother.. he was about 110 yrs old.. he proceeds with his questions.. in extreme slow motion.. Sierra does not know a lot of the family medical history so I answered the questions that she couldn't.. he seemed annoyed at that..

Then he asked her when she dropped out of school.. she didn't drop out.. she is homeschooled.. he then informed us that he does not believe in homeschooling.. I said.. Ok.. and let it drop.. then he tells us that most girls never amount to anything when they drop out.. I told him.. I got married when I was 16.. I was told I would never graduate or go to college.. and I managed to do both.. receiving degrees in both business admin and computer science.. If I can do it.. so can my daughter.. he didn't like that.. then he told us that a GED is not the same as a diploma.. I wanted to say no.. In the state of KY it is better.. KY ranks about 47th in education nationwide.. the GED is a nationally standardized test.. In KY the GED is actually proof of a better education.. but I held my tongue.. (not an easy thing for me).. he asked a few more questions and told Sierra she needed an ultrasound and with that we were dismissed...

I have had 4 kids.. I have been pregnant 5 times.. never have I been to an intial prenatal visit where they didn't take any blood/urine tests or do a pelvic exam.. what kind of doctor is this guy.. we left with an ultrasound appointment and the determination to find her another doctor..

The first thing I did when I got home was get on the phone.. I called a couple of places.. one has a nurse midwife.. they said they would take Sierra.. so we are gonna try again Weds.. That was the strangest doctor I have ever met.. I was really creeped out by him .. Sierra said he made her skin crawl..

I don't want this man anywhere near my grandbaby. or my daughter for that matter.. I am not a picky person.. I can deal with almost anything.. but if someone makes me feel that uncomfortable in that short a period of time.. It is time to move on.. The rest of the day has been fairly good.. the usual kid running and housekeeping.. I am getting ready to go get the Chella .. and come home to fix supper.. I hope today's doctor's visit is not an indication of the week to come..

Oh yeah honey.. I am working on that picture you showed me.. watch for my take on it in an upcoming blog.. I love you..

1 comment:

KC said...

Dr. Slug seems to be a good name for that guy. With so many negative opinions on women, it's a wonder he chose the profession he did.

Glad to read that you've found a far better doctor as well as finding one to look after Chelsea.

Happy Easter.