Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Weighty Issues..

I was sitting here after a morning of running all over town.. I was watching TV.. There is this show that I can't stand.. It is Home Delivery.. It isn't the show itself that I don't like.. It is the over dramatized way they do things.. anyway.. there was nothing else on.. so as I was chatting in the chatroom and listening to the kids.. and watching Ian eat chicken nuggets.. I over heard the TV talking about this woman that was over 600lbs.. It caught my attention..

I used to weigh over 300lbs myself.. I didn't eat a lot.. but I ate a lot of the wrong things.. I was and still am a carb junkie.. I would eat all day.. just graze.. I never sat down for a real meal.. I didn't have time for that.. so I would eat the wrong things all day long.. I realized one day that a 4x was too small for me.. I was getting dressed to go to my best friends daughter's wedding.. and I found I had nothing that would fit me anymore.. It wasn't bad enough that I couldn't play with my kids.. I couldn't get out in the yard and do things that mom's do.. I would run out of breath.. I would get rashes from the fat .. but when I couldn't even get into something to wear.. I had reached the "gotta do something" point.. My doctor told me that I would not live to see 40 if I didn't get the weight off.. So my choice was to have gastric bypass surgery.. it saved my life..

The show this morning bothered me.. They were showing this woman eating 5 burgers.. plates of candy.. donuts.. you name it.. and all I could think of was.. This woman knows what she looks like.. she knows what she feels like.. and showing all this food is just fueling all the stereotypes of overweight people.. that all they do is sit around and eat.. they are all lazy.. they are all pigs.. that kind of thing makes me so angry.. That type of sensationalism was not doing a thing to help her lose weight.. it didn't do anything to make her feel better about herself.. therefore it most likely caused her to eat more.. They did get her a nutritionists to help her change her eating habits.. but this woman was more like a drill sergeant.. that doesn't help either.. having been on that side of the fence.. I know that berating someone for eating won't work to get them to change.. making them feel like they are lazy and pigs won't work either.. support and love help.

I hope the woman on that show learns that she is much more important than her weight.. that she is valuable big or little.. then she will be able to lose the weight to be healthy and happy..

Ok.. I am climbing down off my soap box.. and sliding it back under the bed..

No comments: