Friday, September 23, 2005

Tragedy on Top of Disaster

I don't watch the news.. I rarely read the news.. This morning reminded me why..

There was a story about a bus full of elderly nursing home residents evacuated the Galveston area.. It caught fire on the interstate.. killing at least 24 of the people on board.. I just don't know how to react to things like this.. I can feel hurt, sorrow.. and even admiration for the heroic efforts of the bus driver that went back on that bus several times trying desperately to save his passengers.. but I just don't know how to get my mind around the why of things like this..

I used to watch the news with my ex.. he is a news junkie... I got so overwhelmed at times by the things that I saw and heard there that every news broadcast would bring me to tears.. No I don't hide my head in the sand.. I know that bad things happen all the time.. and I am usually pretty up to date on current events.. I just have so much emotion inside me .. I feel the pain of others.. Not a good thing to be.. an Empath watching the news..

I love being the way I am.. I am able to help people I love, because I feel what they feel and somehow find the words or the shoulder to comfort them. I wouldn't want to be any other way.. It just breaks my heart to watch the news.. to see the tragedies.. the cruelty.. the harshness of the world... but it does make me all that more grateful when I see my family and friends and am able to hold them close to me.. I hope they all know how much I love them ...

Again.. God watch over Texas.. and comfort and keep the families of the people who lost their lives trying to get to safety..

No comments: