Monday, September 19, 2005

Suspended..

Here it is Monday again.. the weekends go by way to fast.. I think we should have 3 day weekends and 4 day work weeks.. would be more of a balance.. just my opinion.. anyway.. I got up, sent Ron off to work.. got the youngins up and off to work and school.. well with the exception of one... Miss Chelsea

It seems that Chelsea was accused of running down the hallway in her school and pushing/running into a teacher.. she swears it was not her, but another blonde girl with a pink shirt and khaki pants.. seeing as her school has a dress code and they must wear khaki or black pants and that pink is making a comeback it is possible.. at any rate she was assigned Saturday school.. now mind you this was on Friday afternoon.. I guess the school doesn't think that families make plans for the weekend anymore.. The policy is that if you don't attend Saturday school you are suspended for the following Monday.. Chelsea did not attend.. she is home today.. I have tried to contact the vice principal to discuss this situation.. Chelsea swears that she didn't do it.. so my solution is that I be allowed to view the video tape of the hallway in question.. if I can ever get in touch with this man that is..

I don't have a problem with Chelsea being punished for something she did.. I have never had a problem with a child facing up to the decisions and choices they make.. Chelsea has been known to lie.. I just believe her in this case.. she knows there is video tape that I can see.. she knows that if I find out she did do it.. that the punishment will be worse than anything the school can think of.. therefore, I don't think she is lying this time.. and the whole idea of sending her to Saturday school with not even a day's notice to me is a bit annoying.. I don't have a problem with her being susupended for something that she did..

I do have a problem with suspension in the first place.. hmm lemme think.. how can we punish a child for not attending a specific class.??? I know I know!!!! Let's keep them out of school for another day.. what kinda sense does that make..? In our county.. suspension days are counted as excused absences.. they are allowed to make up their work..they don't get any demerits for the one day suspension.. they go back to school the next day the same as if it were an excused illness.. so I ask .. where is the punishment from the school.. they get a free day off is basically all I can see from this.. It doesn't even go on their permanent school record.. yep.. sounds like a fine incentive for getting children to obey the rules..

Hopefully this principal will call me back and we can set a time to get together and discuss Chelsea's behavior and what we can do about it.. perhaps view a video.. and go from there.. I'll let ya know how it all turns out..

Y'all have fun..

No comments: