Thursday, August 25, 2005

Old Home Month

I don't know how I have managed to leave people out of my blog but apparently I have been asleep at the keyboard or something..

About a month and a half ago.. Sierra came in the house and asked me if I would like to see someone that I hadn't seen in years.. an old friend of mine.. I was like "sure". She led me outside and said the name Pete.. I was floored.. I had not seen Pete in about 18 yrs.. We had been friends since we were 13.. and there he was standing in my front yard.. He looked the same.. same big blue eyes, same goofy smile.. same Pete.. as for me.. he was shocked.. The last time he saw me I was Blonde and really heavy.. I am thin and redhaired now.. needless to say it was an interesting reunion..We launched into what turned out to be a 3 hr conversation.. covering what we had been doing for the last 18 yrs... our new lives.. our loves.. our old friends..

He brought up Frankie's name.. turns out that Frankie ( one of the inseperable part of our crowd) lives just around the corner.. Pete lives on the same street as Ron and I... He went and told Frankie that he had found me.. and brought him over to the house.. It was great to see them and for a minute or two I felt like we were 13 again waiting for BK and Ginger to show up so that we could go find some trouble to get into... I met their girlfriends and kids.. it was wonderful..

Pete's girlfriend Angie, and I hit it off right away.. we got to talking one day about family.. and one thing led to another and we discovered much to our liking that we are 4th cousins.. wow what a small world.. OK OK.. not in KY where everyone is related but geesh let me get on with this already....

Pete and I dated years ago.. I was afraid that there might be some jealousy on Angie's part at first.. but the more I find out about her the more I like her and I think she feels the same.. It has almost become like her and I are better friends than Pete and I.. and I think that is all part of being an adult..

I am glad to have them both in my life and happy to have made a connection to my past.. When I moved back to KY I realized that most of my old friends were gone.. moved away.. dead.. or who knows.. I had a sense of being lost in my hometown.. and while I make friends fairly quickly it is always good to have someone around that remembers you from way back when... I haven't had that in a long time.. I didn't realize that a connection to my past was important to me until I made one.. Ron and I have a lot of friends and I love some of them more than I love family.. you know who you are.. Russ, Gary, and Steve for starters.. I wouldn't trade their friendship for the world.. but it is so nice to have someone in your life that has known you forever.. someone to talk about old times with.. things like that..

I guess part of it is that Mom has alzheimers and in her losing her memories I lose part of my past too... I can't say to her.. Remember when? Because she doesn't.. I don't have a lot of family still around here.. My brother is well.. hmmm looking for a good word,.. I love him but I guess the best word would be "stoned" and we really didnt grow up together because of an 11 yr age difference.. so to have some of my old friends around along with a new one and a new couple of cousins is a good thing.. and who says you can't go home again?

Well time to get up off my butt.. Y'all have fun..

No comments: