Thursday, May 12, 2005

Guys like you!

I was talking to Russ this morning about dating.. women.. single moms.. and he said something that made me think.. he was talking about step parents.. that when he was younger he and his step dad had their issues.. but, as he has gotten older he has realized what a tremendous job his step dad took on in marrying a woman with 2 kids.. got me to thinking..

I have a lot of friends that are single moms.. I was one too for a while.. the dating scene pretty much sucks for single parents .. It is hard enough to juggle working , being a mom or dad.. and having a life of your own without the pressure of dating..

When Ron and I started dating.. My kids at one point decided to collectively lose their little minds.. I was supposed to go out with Ron one night and I called to tell him that I was needed at home and wouldn't be able to go.. his reaction was to suggest he come to my place and watch movies with us.. I guess I didn't realize at the time how unusual that is for a man these days to actually want to be involved with the children of the woman he is dating.. I hear from my single girlfriends all the time that they feel like "dates" want them to choose between going out and being a mom.. I am not saying that we should always stay home and be a mom.. that there aren't times when we need to get away from the kids.. It just seems to me that if a man or woman is going to be in a relationship with a person that has children that they should understand that the kids come first to that person.. just my take on it..

I guess I was just lucky in that Ron is the type of man that understands that.. and accepts it.. and loves my children not because they are mine.. but because of who they are.. there aren't many men out there like that.. based on my conversation with Russ this morning.. there seems to be at least one more out there like my Ron.. Russ.. You ROCK..

ok.. done for today.. y'all have fun

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tammy,
Ron and I are products of a different time and mindset. I learned long ago that there is nothing extraordinary about being nice, about caring. It is how we are meant to be, its who we are. I have too much respect for the single parents who try and forge a new life with new loves to ever disrespect the ones who take that responsiblity head on. If I become so blessed to find one out there to love me and offer me a future with their family, I only hope that I can emulate my stepfather and Ron. Its just like Brad Paisley said," He Didn't Have to Be". I doubt that makes me better prepared just more open. And in defense of others who can not bring themselves to look past the pasts of ones they may want to be with, they simply may not be capable of dealing with the responsiblity and at least they can be honest about it. There is a fine line that exists there and if they are just looking to get a quick fix of lustin' that is their right as well. We have all been conditioned to look for the right now, some of us choose to look for the right. It does not make us better or worse, just different. Pleus I am HOT! Love Ya!

TammyJ said...

Like I said.. Russ... YOU ROCK..

Ron and you are a unique brand of man.. be proud of that.. be glad that you are one of the guys that we women call the good uns.. oh yeah.. love ya too..