Friday, November 28, 2008

Dreams Do Come True

Whew... the cooking marathon is over. The food is put away the house is back to its regular clutter and not the holiday disaster it was yesterday. There is enough left over in the fridge (not red yet) to feed a large 3rd world country for the next couple of weeks. I loved every minute of it.

When my girls were little and under my feet in the kitchen while I was trying to cook I used to dream about the day when they would be in the kitchen with me helping to prepare a big holiday meal. I had this idea that we would work well together with no arguing or fussing from anyone. That we wouldn't get in each other's way but would be genuinely happy to be working together as a team.. Yesterday that dream came true. It actually started Wed. night. We all worked on pies. Chella and Caleb did the cherry pie, Kyle did the apple pie, Sierra did the pecan pie, and I did my usual pumpkin pies. It was great we were in the kitchen at the same time and you have to understand something about my kitchen here.. It is about the size of a short hallway, anyway we were all in there at the same time, laughing, reaching for ingredients, teasing each other, it was wonderful and the pies turned out beautifully. That same team spirit carried over into yesterday. We all worked together to make a beautiful and delicious meal. I loved it. I think the kids had a much better time knowing they helped out so much in the preparation of the meal. I knew I would have to rely on them a lot this year because of my back, but they all went above and beyond. Kudos to you my kiddos, I am so very proud of you all and love you so much.

We will be living on leftovers for the next 3 days or so but that has always been one of my favorite parts of thanksgiving , cook like a maniac for a few days and then take the next week off.

Ron and I seem to have caught miss Cloe's cold so we will be skipping the black friday shopping frenzy or as I like to call it... hell. We will do our shopping later next week. We also have to prepare for a b day party for Chella she will be 18 on the 8th and we will be having her party on the 6th. Hmmm a room full of teenagers wolfing down food.. didn't we just do that yesterday? Oh well it should be a good time for all.. I hear Cloe up downstairs I think I am gonna go spend some time with the little angel/demon. I hope all of you had as wonderful a thanksgiving as we did.. God Bless

Y'all have fun

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm walking a fine line of not wishing time away, but SO wanting what you had in the kitchen with your kids yesterday. Sounds Wonderful!

I love Black Fridays, but this year it seemed fake, everything was marked up, just to get put on sale and whatever to that. It's got to be a pretty darn good deal to haul me out into the cold (Minnesota!) for hours on end before dawn.

Hmmm, those turkey leftovers sound pretty darn good... gotta run!

Blessings, Whitney