Monday, November 28, 2005

Public Safety Announcement

Ok.. If you drive in or around Lexington KY be warned..Chris got his permit today.. He will be driving.. now I can mark that off my list of good deeds for the day..

Thanksgiving went well.. we didn't have all the kids over.. or the grandkids.. they were all busy doing other things.. but it was still good with the 3 that live here.. Tommy, Pete , Angie and Billy came down to share a meal and a word of thanks.. all was good..

Today has been a strange day.. other than fearing for my life from time to time with Chris behind the wheel it has been ok.. We did have a minor incident involving Tommy and the Dollar Tree.. but that mostly stemmed from the incident last night involving Chelsea, Tommy and the Dollar Tree.. it is a bit much to go into right now..but it did lead to an interesting if somewhat heated (on my part) discussion with Ron about where we come from... he and I are from totally different places in life.. I grew up poor and not only on the wrong side of the tracks but there were no right sides in our neighborhood.. I tried to explain to him that when you are from that place you tend to look out for things to happen whether you do anything wrong or not... He doesn't understand my distrust of cops.. he simply is from another place.. I am glad he had the upbringing he did.. that is part of why he is who he is.. same as me.. If I had not came up the way I did I wouldn't be the me that I am.. sometimes it seems that although we are from the same town we grew up on different planets..I don't envy his life.. I don't feel cheated by mine.. It is just a difference in culture and what expectations we have grown to have.. he expects to be treated the way he treats everyone.. with respect, honor, and a sense of right and wrong.. I expect someone to screw with me at any moment.. I don't trust anyone.. ( Ron excluded of course ) until I have a reason to.. he trusts everyone until he has a reason not to.. We are who we are.. and thank God our differences in this are not a breaking point but a linking point to understanding each other..

It is strange however, that someone like him and someone like me have so many things that are alike.. down to the same favorite candy bar.. I guess with so much in common in other ways.. the differences just allow us individuality and a great way to start conversations.. well Chelsea time..

Y'all have fun..

No comments: