Monday, January 26, 2009

My New Friend Herman

Ok well he isn't really a friend or even friendly. He has invaded my space and moved into my body. He is the huge lump on my back at my incision sight he is about 3 to 4 inches long ,2 to 3 inches wide and about an inch or so tall. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a small lump on my back at the incision sight. I popped a couple of ibuprofen and took it easy and the dang thing went down. The next morning it was back , again with the ibuprofen only this time nothing happened in fact said lump got bigger. This went on for a couple days. I called my doctor on Friday I left a message for his assistant. Monday afternoon she called me back, I told her what was going on and she assured me she would talk to the dr and call me back. Fast forward 4 days to the next Friday when she still had not returned my phone call. I called again, this time she was out of the office and I spoke with someone who was filling in for her. I was again told I would be called back. This time only an hour went by when I did get a phone call. Brooke, told me I have a hematoma, and that while they are not all that common in this type of surgery they are fairly normal and mostly harmless I was further instructed to ice it for 20 mins per hour and take it easy. If I take it any easier I will be in a coma. I have been icing as instructed, and still there is a big painful lump in the lower part of my back. I have decided if it is gonna be hanging around with me 24/7 it should have a name, hence, Herman. I have a strange obsession with naming things anyway from cars to thanksgiving day turkeys so, for my new lump to have a name doesn't seem at all odd to me. I am however hoping ours is a very short friendship.

In other news , I know Ron has told everyone about Chella getting her GED. I am very proud of her. It isn't the way I wanted her to get her education but I do understand why she chose this way and I have supported her decision. Her next step is to check out colleges and what financial assistance is out there. She wants to go into journalism, (imagine a writer in this family who would have thought?) I just hope she continues to follow through with her education. I know it isn't easy to do it once you are grown and married so hopefully she goes ahead with the education now and the home and family thing later. I didn't quite do it that way. I got married when I was 16 had my first child a month before I turned 18. I was 20 and had just given birth to my 2nd child when I went to get my GED, and 21 when I started college and spent most of my 2nd year of school pregnant with my 3rd child. Talk about getting your education the hard way. I did manage to come out the other side of it with a good education and 2 degrees but it would have been much easier to have done it without the full time home/mother/and 60 hr a week job thing as well. These kids don't seem to realize how great it is to still be able to live at home and not have to do anything but get your education. Oh well all I can do is encourage her and pray. Now I am working on Sierra to try and get her to go to work on getting her GED. Wish me luck.

Well, Herman is getting pissed about sitting upright so I am gonna get off here and try to freeze him to death.

Y'all have fun.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

So nice to hear from you. I'm not sure how I missed this post all week.
Sorry about Herman. Sounds like a visitor that has overstayed his welcome. And I was so hoping that surgery was a rousing success with no bad results at all.
Yes, I am happy about Chella. And you sure did do it the hard way.
My middle son wants to be an "author". Does that mean I support him forever?